Looking to move out of the city or trying to relocate to a place that’s far far away? You might trust your possession with those moving companies out there. But then, you never know what would happen to your stuff, do you? No matter how reliable the moving company is, nobody really takes care of your stuff as you would. Or let’s put it the other way – nobody would understand that the small photo frame you have is what you value the most. The moving company personnel would probably be worrying about your electronic gadgets more.
Before you make a decision to buy shipping containers, there are a few things which you should know about them. The shipping containers are purchased for general storage, housing conversions and shipping, so things you need to know about them are listed below:
- Wind and water tight containers: The most common type of shipping containers which can serve the purpose of storing are wind and water tight – and keeps the stuff safe in it. Most of these containers are around 10 feet or more tall, and so it’s really difficult to move them too. If you would like to use the container for shipping, ensure that it is rust free, in good condition and free of damages.
- Cost: If you are staying near a port then you may get the containers at a great rate. You will also be able to find plenty of suppliers. However, if you are not staying near the port, then the shipping container needs to be shipped to your location. To save some money, you can take the truck on rent with a long tilting trailer and pick it on your own. Moreover, if you are on budget, avoid places that sell prefab containers as these costs a lot and you would need to change the layout accordingly.
- Good potential for building homes: Shipping containers offer huge structural strength and costs less than the traditional timber steel. The foundation design can be simpler, less expensive and more powerful. It can be built beautifully and you can add some interior design elements to make it look more graceful. It can a unique residence idea.
- Unibody construction: The most strongest and common architecture in automobiles, Yachts and airplanes is the unibody construction. It is a type on construction in which several ISBU (Intermodel Steel Building Unit) shipping containers are used together and has amazing amount of strength and durability. Even after the containers are cut in various sizes and some modifications are made to it, the strength is greater than any type of conventional home.
- Good insulation and ventilation: These are metal containers and become extremely hot and cold depending on the temperature outside. Thus, good ventilation and insulation is important as per the weather. It is a good idea to buy shipping containers in sizes that you require.