The finance sector offers wide opportunities to graduates who are good at mathematics and do not mind investing long hours at their work front. An intern-ship can help you to secure a high paying job in finance. It is believed that, with a course in business administration, you can build a successful career in finance. With the right majors, you can make a choice among the several doors which open up. To work in a prestigious firm, it is important that you join an MBA program and specialize in finance. In this competitive industry, an additional degree will help you to remain ahead of others.
Basic qualifications which are required to enter the finance industry are very high. To play a role in finance you can opt among the following financial institutions:
- You can give shape to your career and secure a job in investment banks.
- In a commercial bank, you can enjoy roles of a bank teller or loan officer.
- In money management firms, you can shoulder responsibilities of security analyst or portfolio manager.
- If you work in hedge funds which have fewer restrictions on how individuals can invest money.
- Finance jobs can also be found in real estate firms.
Carve a successful career
The guidelines mentioned in this primer can help you to build a strong career in finance:
- Finance programs are offered both at the graduate and undergraduate level. It is very essential that you opt for an appropriate major which caters to your requirements. Studying psychology of finance and investing can be a vital decision.
- You can gear you for an intern-ship which helps you to gain on-job training. It can enhance your resume and will help you to convince the employer that you are interested in a career, in finance. Interning in a financial firm is more beneficial.
Select the right firm
Embark upon a successful career by selecting the right job. As you plan your career path, you need to judge the size of the company you are applying to. Large companies offer several amenities but may include stringent production quotas. However, the environment in these companies is highly regulated. In a smaller firm, the environment will be more relaxed. You can gain from the broader range of responsibilities which are assigned to you. As you carve out a career in finance you need to look at the training programs which are offered by the organization. Some firms provide training and education to the finance graduates and gear them for the job responsibilities.
Apply for a graduate scheme
Large finance firms recruit graduates for their graduate schemes UK. The graduate schemes recruit students who have consistent academic record and have the required skills for a job in finance. At times, telephone interviews and panel interviews are conducted to recruit graduates. Preparing well for a graduate interview can help you to crack the brain teaser questions. With a graduate scheme the employer bears the costs of education which you may pursue while working.
Your determination and effort will decide how fast you can climb the corporate ladder. As you equip yourself with the right skills it is important that you remain updated on the finance news and events which affect the economy. Writing skills play an important role if you wish to become a financial analyst. Strong communication and problem solving skills too are very important. If you are diligent in your job you can rise up the success ladder easily. You need to compare yourself against your competitors to understand where you stand and how you can sharpen your skills. If you start off with a higher position you can begin with higher salaries.
Author Bio: Nick is a successful financial analyst who is on the recruitment board of graduate schemes UK. He feels that students these days are more focused towards their career.